Boundary Waters Canoe Trip Weather Forecast
The most popular question we get on a daily basis is: How’s the weather up there? Yes, even more so than how’s the fishing. The fact is, the weather affects us all, and it plays a large roll in our trip itineraries. So to help with your trip planning, let us provide you with the resources that we use here at Seagull. This way you’ll have the exact information that we have.
Weather is somewhat predictive, but as we all know, the weatherman is lucky to be right 50% of the time. So there’s no way to know for sure what the weather will do all the time, especially days in advance.
So to help you with your planning, and to hopefully reduce some of your anxiety toward the weather for your trip, the answers that we’ll provide you when you call will be taken from forecasts from these sources.
Because the same zip code is used for Grand Marais as well as the entire Gunflint Trail (55604), using simply the zip code is a crap shoot on what the weather will be like at the end of the Trail. As you all know, the weather in Grand Marais by the big lake is often times 20 to 30 degrees different than what it is even 3 miles up the Gunflint Trail. We’ve all felt the rush of cool air as we drive down the Trail into town. So we know that using the zip code as the guide is not accurate because that gives you Grand Marais weather.
Using Ely weather as your gauge is much closer to the actual than plugging Grand Marais into the search because of the lake affect.
But even better than that now, there is a "detailed point forecast" from NOAA that we can determine the 7-day weather forecast right on our doorstep. There's also now a weather reporting station at the Seagull Guard Station on Larch Creek. These two sources will be much more accurate for what you’ll find at the end of the Gunflint Trail, and for your canoe trip. So add these two sites to your favorites on your web browser, and follow the weather radar just as we do to determine the forecasts that we report to visitors with the Intellicast Weather Radar.
Want to know the weather better than we know the weather? Here are your weather resources for planning your canoe trip:
- NOAA Weather Service "Point Forecast" for Seagull Outfitters - Mid-Gunflint Trail Weather Forecast
- View the 7-day forecast for the weather on our doorstep here at Seagull Outfitters.
- Want to find the weather forecast for your exact campsite? Just click on the map to view the forecast for a finite location.
- Seagull Guard Station Weather Statistics - Current Weather at the Seagull Guard Station (3 miles from Seagull Outfitters)
- View temperature, precipitation, dew point, wind speed, wind gusts, humidity, etc. from the last 24 hours.
- Customize your statistics on anything between now and the past 30 days to see what the weather is and was doing right on the end of the Gunflint Trail.
- Intellicast Weather Radar - Pan and Zoom to find your route and view the radar loop in detail for the BWCA and Quetico.